BLING BLING + Raku Workshop! Join us for a packed day with a community raku, picnic lunch, lustre firing, and festivities out in the lush rolling hills of Occidental, CA (1.5 hrs from San Francisco)!
Saturday, August 22nd, 2020 from 8 AM-6 PM
Head up to our Rural Atmospheric Firing Retreat for a dual workshop. Spend the first half of the day in raku firing three bisque fired pieces then spend the other half of the day adding some yellow and/or white gold to your glaze fired pieces!
Each participant should bring three bisque fired pieces to raku fire and three glaze fired pieces to learn how to add that beautifully luxurious 22 karat gold pizzaz to your pieces!
- Apply gold or silver lustre to 3 of your pieces: Bring 3 glaze-fired, finished pieces with you to the workshop!
- All materials provided: Raku glazes, horsehair, brushes, gold & silver lustre, as well as a special lustre firing in our kiln. Please note that your raku fired pieces cannot be lustre fired, as the lustre firing will totally change the look and feel of your raku fired pieces. You will want to use cone 5/6 fired glaze ware for lustre firing.
- Learn how to work with lustre: Learn proper cleaning, safety, and application methods to get your perfect finish every time.
- Increase the sale value of your work: Adorning your creations with a real gold finish is a great way to give them a unique charm that allows you to up those prices.
- Bring 3 bisque fired ceramic pieces (about coffee mug sized) or 2 larger forms for the raku portion of the workshop.
- Your pieces for raku must be bisque fired prior to the workshop.
- Glaze and prep pieces to be loaded into the raku kilns. We'll be providing a variety of raku glaze options, including crackles, turquoise & copper glazes, and horse hair techniques.
- Review of fired pots. Learn to refine your glaze application!
- We'll run 5-7 raku firings over the course of the day!
- 1 lunch will be provided.
- Lustre fired pieces will be brought back to CBTB or can be picked up at our Rural Atmospheric Firing Retreat (please let us know which you prefer at the end of the workshop).
PLEASE NOTE: The gold takes on whatever finish is underneath it. If your glaze is semi-matte then the gold will be semi-matte. If your glaze is very glossy then your lustre will have a mirror finish. Make sure your pieces are fully glaze fired before the workshop.
*We will also have a white gold lustre for those that would like a silver finish rather than gold.
** Please note that raku fired pots are never fully vitrified, making them not food-safe.