Join us for two packed weekends with a community woodfiring, picnics, and beautiful farm-to-table dinner and festivities out in the lush rolling hills of Occidental, CA (1.5 hrs from San Francisco)!
Over the course of 3 days spread between two weekends, you'll bond with an amazing crew of people, learn to glaze and prep pieces for high fire, load & prepare a woodfire kiln, as well as feed and maintain the fire while enjoying gorgeous countryside picnics.
THIS RETREAT INCLUDES:
- 1 night of lodging at the Occidental Lodge (Saturday night of first day)
- 5 meals: 3 picnic lunches and 2 dinners
- Instruction on glazing and prep-work for high fire
- Finishing materials and tools, as well as high-fire glazes, flashing slips, and sanding/polishing stations
- Spending some time inside the kiln loading pieces by hand
- Learning to prepare kiln shelves and furniture
- Experience feeding and maintaining the wood fire
- Learning to finish and refine the surfaces of your work upon unloading
WHAT TO PREPARE:
- Bring 15-20 small pieces (coffee mug sized), and/or up to 5 larger forms. Really tiny pots are welcome too!
- Must be Cone 10 clay bodies & already bisque fired
- Transportation to arrive Saturday morning and dive right into the action
Return the following Saturday to partake in the kiln unloading and grand reveal of all the finished pieces, receiving instruction on buffering and refining surfaces of your woodfired results. There we'll host a final, celebratory dinner!